This site uses cookies to work as intended.

If you continue to browse this site you are consenting to this. Learn more

I understand



                Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of details listed

             Holivans cannot be held responsible for any incorrect information or omissions


















At Holivans Caravan Park, we are keen to ensure that we provide the safest possible environment for all our caravan holiday home owners, holidaymakers, park staff and visitors. We are legally obliged to take steps to ensure public safety and this includes making sure that all owners’ caravans are safely maintained. We therefore urge you to have the gas and electrical installations and appliances in your caravan regularly inspected, well maintained and serviced where appropriate and take care to ensure the safety of the water supply.


Carbon monoxide poisoning is an ever present danger and you are urged to read the Stay Safe Leaflet. It describes recommended gas safety checks, explains that all work on your gas installation, appliances and flues must be carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer, technician or installer and recommends the installation of a suitable carbon monoxide alarm.

If you let your holiday home, formally or informally, to anyone other than immediate family, even if not for money, then you have particular responsibilities and should take steps to ensure the safety of anyone using the caravan. This includes carrying out an annual landlord’s gas safety inspection, and certification of the gas installation, appliances and flues within every 12 month period. The annual gas safety inspection must be carried out by a competent person (Gas Safe registered) and the ‘Landlord’s gas safety inspection record’ displayed inside the caravan.


Electrical work should also be carried out by a competent person who can provide documentation demonstrating qualifications and relevant experience to show they are capable of carrying out the work safely. It is recommended that you have your electrical installations and appliances inspected annually by an electrician/operative who belongs to at least one of the following approved bodies:


 To protect the safety of the park’s water supply, it is important that any plumbing work is carried out within the law, by a competent person, and the suitable ‘backflow prevention’ is maintained. Therefore, the park owners’ approval is required before any work is carried out on the water supply to your caravan.

What is Carbon Monoxide poisoning?

Carbon Monoxide is poisonous and results from the incomplete combustion of gas and fuels.

Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning happens when you breathe Carbon Monoxide, even at very low levels. The symptoms are like having flu, but can lead to death. Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness. The young and the old are at particular risk. You will not know if you are being exposed to Carbon Monoxide as it is colourless, odourless and tasteless. The symptoms are often overlooked and the only sure means of diagnosis is a blood test.

Staying safe

If your caravan holiday home displays the National Caravan Council badge of approval (see below), you have the reassurance that it has been designed with safety in mind. However, it is essential that you take simple steps to ensure both your own and others’ safety:

  • Get all your gas appliances regularly serviced and safety checked every year.
  • Don’t block the ventilation.
  • Know the danger signs to look out for.
  • Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix or service your appliances.
  • Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm (EN50291).
  • Get your gas appliances checked annually

All gas appliances should be serviced annually to keep them working safely and efficiently. This will reduce the chance of exposure to Carbon Monoxide and also reduce running costs. The law requires an annual check to be done if you let out accommodation; for example, if holidaymakers stay in your caravan holiday home. Never Do-It-Yourself with gas. Do not let unqualified people work on gas appliances; always use a Gas Safe registered engineer, qualified either in natural gas and/or liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).

  • Check the engineer is qualified for the work you need doing - you can find this information on the back of their ID card.
  • Make sure that they have the appropriate registration for the gas used in your appliances.
  • Ask for the gas safety record for the work carried out
  • Your park manager may be able to recommend a suitable Gas Safe registered engineer. Alternatively to find a Gas Safe registered engineer visit or call 0800 408 5500.
  • Don’t block the ventilation Gas-burning appliances need a constant supply of air in order for complete combustion to occur and to keep you safe. Suitable ventilation is designed into caravan holiday homes and park homes to ensure your safety. If you block that ventilation, it could lead to Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

Stay safe: Never block the ventilation! Know what to look out for

You cannot see, taste or smell Carbon Monoxide, but you can look out for signs. Your gas appliance should burn with a crisp blue flame. If it burns with lazy yellow or orange flames, or you notice sooting or staining, you could be at risk. If you spot the danger signs, get it checked out by a Gas Safe registered engineer.

Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarms will provide a further safeguard. There should be two: one in the living area and one in the master bedroom.

Test them at least once a month and never remove the batteries. If not already fitted, buy alarms that comply with BS EN 50291:2001 and follow the fitting instructions carefully. Check and follow the maintenance requirements; Carbon Monoxide alarms usually need replacing about every five years.

There is no substitute for properly functioning, audible alarms. Do not be tempted to fit the cheaper ‘black spot’ detectors as they won’t sound an alarm and alert you to potential danger. If the alarm goes off:

  • Make sure everyone leaves the home.
  • Turn off the gas at the meter or cylinder valve.
  • Get medical attention for anyone feeling unwell.
  • Immediately call the gas emergency number for your area.
  • Tell the park manager.
  • Get the gas appliances checked.
  • Do not re-enter until you have been told it is safe to do so.
Page 1 of 3

Connect with Holivans on Facebook

Tow Bar & Holivans Community Group

holivans tow bar group
Click the image to join the group on Facebook!

Caravan Sales

We have a number of caravans for sale, ready pitched for you to begin using straight away.

caravans for sale

View caravans for sale now

Touring Pitches

We have select touring pitches, providing maximum space and privacy. Our full facilities & licensed bar, will ensure your stay with us is an enjoyable one.

touring site

View Touring Facilities

Our Visitors Say


Tow Bar & Holivans Community Group

holivans tow bar group
Click the image to join the group on Facebook!